Growth leader and senior operating executive with 25+ years of entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial experience blueprinting and executing start-up, scaleup, turnaround and transformation strategies for technology-based angel, VC and PE-backed portfolio companies.
C-Level Executive | Board Member | Advisor | Mentor
Business Strategy, Revenue Production via Productization, Commercialization & Monetization
B2B | B2C | B2B2C | D2C
SaaS, B2B Media, Consumer Internet, E-commerce, Publishing, Digital Marketing, Hospitality, Education (Postsecondary), Health Tech (Senior Care).
As a domain expert in consumer internet, publishing, media and B2B information services, John has over two decades of experience leveraging market and customer insights to inform and build bold strategies and innovative digital platform businesses that establish, restore and accelerate growth, profitability and new value creation for early-stage and mid-market companies.
- Co-founded Myteam.com, the largest VC-backed sports league management and registration platform now serving 13 million amateur athletes globally. Led the initial product design, sales, marketing, business development and GTM strategy securing multiple exclusive strategic partnerships, $10MM in funding prominent venture partners, and $2MM in pre-launch corporate sponsorship commitments.
- CEO of an angel-backed SaaS provider serving member-based organizations. Established the vision, operational discipline and organizational alignment, product roadmap, and the growth-driven culture required to achieve first time profitability, 3x topline growth, 6x increase in CLTV, and transformation into an award-winning MSP powered by an unprecedented 95% customer retention and renewal rate.
- SVP, Ziff Davis: Orchestrated the turnaround of a marginalized, underperforming $60MM publishing division of leading media company growing revenue +50%, EBITDA +18% and market share +21% recapturing category leadership and optimizing enterprise value before divestiture.
- President/GM, GateHouse Media Ventures: Ideated and architected the product, strategy, business model, and go-to-market for an innovative $45MM digital healthcare marketplace to disrupt the $400B senior care services industry. Secured multiple strategic alliances with key ecosystem participants to inform and accelerate product ideation and agile development with 18 months of venture formation, on a single $2MM investment.
- CEO, BCC Research: Blueprinted and institutionalized a digital innovation strategy to stabilize and revitalized a 45-year-old, 100-person global market research company. Implemented new organizational structure, accountability measures, and operating disciplines for data-driven decision-making, customer acquisition, product development, and deliver services to achieve a 15% reduction in CAC, 30% YOY improvement in TTM revenue and a 5-point increase in EBITDA